First Direct provides their users with different ways of authenticating and giving consents for Open Banking - for both Data (AIS) and Payments (PIS) requests. If you're facing issues during the authentication process, please check below the right steps to complete the flow correctly.
Digital Secure Key Password (DSK)
If the customer has not activated any biometrics, they will be required to enter their DSK password. This is a static password and same as they would use to log into the direct banking app.
If the customer has FaceID enabled, the user will need to press the CTA "Authenticate with FaceID" to activate facial biometrics. The customer also has the option to enter a DSK password if they choose to or if the facial biometrics are not working.
If the customer uses fingerprint biometrics, there's no CTA required and this will pop up immediately upon redirection to the app. The customer also has the option to cancel and use DSK password if they choose to or if the fingerprint biometrics are not working.
Browser - Logon code (Physical Secure Key)
1. Hold down the green (bottom right hand) button on your Secure Key, then enter your Secure Key PIN.
2. With "HELLO" displayed on the screen, press the green button. This will generate a Security Code.
3. Your security code will be displayed. Now simply insert it where it's prompted.
Browser - Logon code (Digital Secure Key)
Using the First Direct mobile app
1. Launch the first direct mobile app on your device and select "Go to security codes".
2. Select "Log on security code". Use biometric or enter your Digital Secure Key password then "Generate".
3. Your security code will be displayed.
Browser - Transaction Security Code (Payments) - Physical Security Key
1. Press and hold down the green (bottom right hand) button to turn on your Secure Key, then
enter your Secure Key PIN.
2. Press the yellow (bottom left hand) button and a dash will appear on the screen.
3. Enter the last 4 digits of the account number you are sending the money to followed by the
payment amount including pence, ignoring the decimal point.
e.g. £300.05 should be input as 30005
4. Press the yellow (bottom left hand) button again and your 6 digit transaction security
code will be displayed.
Note: the screen will display a maximum of 8 digits, if you input more than 8 they will scroll
to the left and disappear from view. If you make a mistake you can use the green (bottom
right hand) button to delete the last digit you input.
Browser - Transaction Security Code (Payments) - Digital Security Key
How to generate a transaction security code using the first direct Mobile App
In order to keep your money as safe as possible, you'll need to create a security code to authorise
1. Launch the first direct Mobile App on your mobile device and select 'Go to Security Codes'.
If your App automatically logs you on select 'More' and "Generate Security Codes'. Your App
will then ask you to 'log off' and take you to the 'Generate Security Codes' screen.
2. Select 'Transaction security code' and enter the last 4 digits of the account number you are
sending the money to.
3. Still in the same field, input the payment amount including pence, ignoring the decimal
point. e.g. €300.05 should be input as 30005
4. Select 'Generate' and enter:
- your Digital Secure Key password
- or the biometric supported by your device
Your 6 digit transaction security code will be